Paying Contractors

The busy workload on farms at this time of year often leads to a dilemma of how to pay the wages. Having relief milkers and casual calf rearers creates problems deciding how much to pay and whether to deduct PAYE or pay by cash.

The IRD guidelines distinguish between agricultural contractors and casual agricultural employees. The one aspect which is consistent is that tax must be deducted from the earnings unless it is an agricultural contractor who provides you with a current Certificate of Exemption (IR331) for that activity. 

Read about paying contractors


Return to Articles View News Archive